Breakfast is the most important meal of the day. Everyone’s nutritional requirements vary with their level of activity and exercise. However, choosing the right balance of carbohydrates, fats and protein can mean the right balance of energy for the active person. Below is a list of the best workout snacks that will leave you energized for the rest of your day.
Pre Workout Snacks
The body is always on a round-the-clock quest to burn fat and build muscle. But timing your food intake perfectly helps it to recover in the best way possible. Pre-work out snack means anything you eat thirty to sixty minutes prior to a workout session, and depending on its size and contents, has a significant impact on your overall exercise.
- Unsweetened Yoghurt – Have a mix of non-fat yogurt topped with a cup of fresh strawberries.
- Coconut shake
- Oats – These stay in the stomach longer and leaves feeling fuller, for a more intense workout.
Post Workout Snacks
Back from an exercise session, post workout snacks are just as important as they help you restore your lost energy and rebuild muscle as well. These can be had within two hours after exercising. See some great ideas below.
- Protein pancakes – Made from a recipe of egg whites, rolled oats, low-fat cottage cheese, baking powder and vanilla, these are great when topped with fresh fruits like sliced bananas.
- Protein bar – A protein bar packs a quick fix of energy to get you going. It’s however important to watch the sugar content on these!
- Milk and cereal – Milk and cereal any day, any time! Just mix a glass of skim (fat-free) milk to a cup of cereal and get going.